Volunteers respond to China Grove fire

The last thing a Rowan couple wanted was a phone call in the middle of the night saying their home was on fire.

The pair – who have a 2-year-old – had just purchased the single-wide mobile home and were making repairs to it while living there. Yesterday, the husband found black mold under the dishwasher, so the entire family decided to stay with friends until they could safely re-enter the home.

Little did they know how smart that decision was. They were awakened by the phone call from neighbors that night saying the home was on fire.

Our volunteers met the couple at their home, which was still smoldering. The Red Cross provided the couple with assistance for food and clothing, as well as cleaning supplies. Through working with our community partners, our volunteers were also able to refer the couple to other agencies for things like furniture and counseling.

Want to help people who experience disasters? Visit http://www.redcross.org and make a contribution to disaster relief.

Download fire safety information

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s